The CFS41 Side Event is organised by the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA), International Planning Committee for Food Sovereignty, and Global Crop Diversity Trust (Crop Trust) on Tuesday, 14 October 2014 at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
The event provides an opportunity, in the context of CFS, to learn about and discuss contributions of the governance of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture (PGRFA) by international institutions, and actions by peasant farmers, toward improving food security and nutrition, through the sustainable use of PGRFA as key elements for the realisation of farmers’ rights.
Decisions on the governance and management of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture (PGRFA) and agricultural biodiversity are taken by different institutions, for example: ITPGRFA, CGRFA, CBD, UPOV, WIPO, and CGIAR Centers. The CFS, as the intergovernmental platform to enhance global coordination and improve policy convergence, provides an enabling forum to position the governance of PGRFA within food security and nutrition. In the CFS context, reviewing the specific contribution of PGRFA to improving FSN, could provide necessary coherence and added value to conserve, sustainably use and develop agricultural biodiversity, improve access to these resources by small-scale food producers, and strengthen farmers’ rights (arts. 5, 6, 9 ITPGRFA).
The expert Panel includes:
- Mathew Worrell, Chairman, Governing Body of the International Treaty on PGRFA - The role of Sustainable Use for Food Security and Nutrition
- Maria Noel Salgado Spinatelli, Movimento Agroecologico Latino America y Caribe (MAELA) - How the ITPGRFA can meet the demands of the Agroecological Producers
- Luigi Guarino, Global Crop Diversity Trust - Farmers’ Access to ex situ Collections
- Mark Holderness, Executive Secretary, Global Forum on Agricultural Research (GFAR) - Smallholder Farmers as Central to Agriculture, Innovation and Development
- Luisa Volpe, Policy Officer, World Farmers’ Organisation (WFO) - Farmers’ Rights and Commercial Agriculture
- Dave Nowell, Secretariat of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) - Safety Measures to Protect Sustainable Use and Exchange of Plant Material: Impact on the Farmers
- Guy Kastler, La Via Campesina - Farmers’ Rights and Sustainable Use: the Vision of the Peasants’ Organizations on the Future of the ITPGRFA
Download the provisional programme from: http://bit.ly/1o7IA45.
The CFS41 Side Events timetable and brochure are available on the CFS 41 Web page: www.fao.org/cfs/cfs41.
Read about CFS41 at http://www.fao.org/cfs/cfs41/en/. Download the latest documents available from http://www.fao.org/bodies/cfs/cfs41/en/.
Watch CFS Plenary Sessions live via webcasts at http://www.fao.org/webcast/.
Follow CFS41 on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cfsupdates and use the hashtag #CFS41